State Required Licensure Exams
Minnesota teachers are required to demonstrate competency on a series of tests in reading, writing, math, pedagogy, and licensure field specific content knowledge. The Professional Educator Licensing & Standards Board (PELSB) is responsible for overseeing the testing requirements set forth in Minnesota statute and continually monitors and analyzes the program. For the most up-to-date information on state licensure requirements, refer to the PELSB website under License Requirements.Prior to a licensure recommendation by SWWC, candidates will be required to submit any required testing results to their advisor to be included in their online portfolio as evidence of completion.
- Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board: https://mn.gov/pelsb/
- Minnesota Department of Education: https://education.mn.gov/MDE
- Minnesota Teacher Licensure Exams (MTLE) - http://www.mtle.nesinc.com/
- This link provides information on the pedagogy and content tests required for Tier 3 or Tier 4 licensure, along with the Essential Academic Skills tests in reading, writing, and math required for Tier 4 licensure. A testing center is located on the campus of Southwest Minnesota State University in Marshall, with additional testing centers located throughout the region. Candidates for licensure are required pass one pedagogy test and a content test for each area of licensure.
- edTPA - http://www.edtpa.com/
- This link provides information on the EdTPA required of initial licensure candidates in Minnesota.